Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nine Words That Men Need to Know!



Author Laura Davis wrote on her blog: “It's time for a little levity. I received this in my email box from one of our members and had to share it with you. Men, pay close attention because this is especially for you!”

1. Fine - This is the word women use to end an argument. Do not say anything further. This is is the time when you keep your mouth shut.
2. Five Minutes - If she is getting dressed, this means a half hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game, before helping around the house.
3. Nothing - This is the calm before the storm. This means something and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end with fine. (see #1).
4. Go Ahead - This is a dare, not permission. DON'T DO IT!!
5. Loud Sigh - This is not really a word, but you need to be aware of its meaning just the same. This is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means, she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (see #3).
6. That's Okay - This is one of the most dangerous statements a woman can make to a man. That's okay, means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.
7. Thanks - A woman is thanking you, do not question it or faint. Just say "You're welcome." (I want to add in a clause here - this is true UNLESS she says "Thanks alot" - that is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say "You're welcome" as that will bring on the next word which is 'Whatever').
8. Whatever - Is a woman's way of saying TALK TO THE HAND.
9. Don't worry about it, I've got it - Another dangerous statement meaning this is something a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking, "What's wrong?". (For the woman's response refer to #3).
Of course this is all in fun, but I have to say a lot of these statements seem correct to me. Ladies and Gentleman, what do you think?...

Just some background on Laura Davis and my friendship, we’ve known each other for close to 20 years. We’ve performed together in various concerts when I lived in London, ON for 13 years. We both were involved with Christian Contemporary Music -ministering in numerous churches and public engagements through the late Ivan Hutton's “Sounds of Praise” concerts and events. I’ve known about Laura’s passion for life and her infectious laughter. My response to her blog, made her “laugh her head off” as she could relate to some of the annoying things wives do…when husbands want some downtime watching and listening to a good movie. Enjoy!

As one of the male members in "Laura Davis’ Group" when words or tone of action, like this come up in my dialogue with my wife Elaine...it usually means that she is talking to me from the kitchen and I'm in my office either writing, creating or working on a project for a client.

I am also guilty" of the term "five minutes" when I hear her speaking that to me, which could mean..."dinner's ready, get your butt out here...the food's' hot and I hate eating cold food." My wife is usually very patience with me, as she doesn't like to eat our "main meal" together without me. So, if I hear the "five minute warning" than I know I'll be in trouble if I don't respond!

Being male, and also engrossed in whatever I’m writing or creating...I don't always hear these “9 words”; unless I'm not responding and she'll come and talk to me at the entrance of my office. That usually means something is important and we need to talk about it!

However, ladies...I'm a movie buff (now with my partial degree in this genre) and I hate it, when Elaine wants to talk to me "using some of these 9 words plus sign language" when the movie is just beginning. Ladies, why do you talk to your husbands when something important, is either on TV or Video (excluding sports) and you need to let us know..."right there and then" what's on your mind?

Could you not give us warning as the DVD is starting to engage...that you need to chat about something? Great, stop the DVD...and we can chat? NOT IN THE BEGINNING OR THE MIDDLE OF THE MOVIE!

I see my father married to my mother, 55 years this October...does not respond at all when my mother chats throughout a movie. I think part of the problem is that "he's deaf" or that he chosen to block out my mother's dialogue. It doesn't bother him anymore...my mother has used these “9 words” on him for years and it hasn't done much good.

I would rather be progressive and tell my spouse that there is a season for everything, “a time to live and a time to die” and a time to chat before the beginning of an important TV show or DVD!!

That's how I would take using these “9 words” in our relationship. Now Ladies, don't hate me, I think when you are dealing with an artistic male, life is different on many sides of the coin.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Ian: Unfortunately, I see myself in these nine words. I often talk to hubby during movies, or worse, the news.

Peter Black said...

Hello Ian:
Great fun piece, stacked with wisdom, from both Laura and you.
Congratulations to you on obtaining your degree!